If You Are Arrested
- Ask for a lawyer immediately.
- You have the right to remain silent, USE IT! Remember anything you say can and will be used against you and others.
- Remaining silent protects you and your allies.
- Do not discuss your case over the phone, calls from police stations and jails are monitored or recorded.
- Do not discuss your case with others being held; they may be undercover police.
- Remember police are allowed to lie to you!
- You must be taken before a judge within 48 hours. The 48 hours do not include the day of the arrest, weekends, or legal holidays.
- Though it can take up to 48 hours, often it does not take that long.
- A judge will decide if the charges against you are supported by probable cause, and if so the judge may set bail. Bail may be denied if you do not have ID.